Tuesday 27 December 2011

Barclays Capital Trading and Structuring Assessment Centre / Interview

I had an interview with Barclays Capital aka ( Barcap).
The application process is fairly straightforward. Initial application --> automatic invite for numerical & verbal tests. Then phone interview and the final full day assessment centre whereby offers will be Made.
Last year I applied but I failed the initial numerical test, I was not happy as this was the first application I attempted. I spent hours making sure all my competency questions were "on point" etc BUT I failed the numerical test unfortunately ( they put some next level questions in which I have never seen in any future shl tests - I felt cheated but thats life I suppose, live and you learn).

This year I made a dummy application to make sure there were no trick questions and to ensure that I was fully prepared for the Barcap Numerical Test, I passed the dummy application so I applied mid October with the competency questions saved  from last year in this application ( mainly  just to see how good it actually was) & of course for the experience of doing a summer internship.

Luckily for me three days after I did the tests I got an invite to a phone interview. I booked it to take place on my birthday since this day was most convenient in terms of lectures and workload.

I prepared for the interview by doing mock tests and having the answered prepared and written down to the standard competencies using the STAR technique.

I was quite nervous in the 5 minutes before the interview was scheduled to begin as this was my first phone interview.
The interviewer emphasised the fact this is a strength based interview and they are not able to interpret the questions for me.

The questions asked were as follows :


The questions that I can remember are:
1. You organise an event and more people than expected turn up what do you do?
2. What motivates you?
3. How do you motivate others?
4. If you were in a good performing team but thought something could be done better what would you do?
5. Do you like proof reading and paying attention to detail?
6. How to you build friendships or rapport with people?


 
The phone interview was pretty tough going and I felt like I was stuttering / stammering & basically had no chance due to how obscure the questions were. Luckily there was no technical questions which I suspect was due to it being conducted by the HR of the bank.
Exactly a month after the phone interview after I had forgotten about this torturous experience, I received an email saying I was invited to the assessment centre ( AC). Which would compromise of a trading game and strength based interviews.
At the AC, there were 32 candidates and 21 desks recruiting as barcap internships are non rotational. We were given timetables and people had between 3 - 7 interviews with the chance to network more interviews which I was able to do surprisingly easy.
The trading game was like poker but cards of 1-15 where we traded in teams against everyone giving prices and being assessed. I suspect the game was there to measure primarily how people work in a team and more secondary if there were any trading wizkids amongst us.
After this I was told one of my interviews was cancelled so although I had 5 interviews scheduled it was only 4 interviews left.
My first interview was almost identical to the phone interview I had as the interviewer read all of the questions from the HR book, this put me into a false sense of security as I thought all interviews would be like this, but I was wrong,
I now waited 2-3 hours for my next interview. At lunch time I sat next to some traders who invited me for an interview since most candidates sat with each other and I happen to sit beside the traders, looks like I got lucky interview invite over lunch time.
This interview was chaotic as one of the interviewer was getting phone calls & I was getting grilled for every little thing on my cv whilst another was walking inside and out of the room.
The interview ended early as I had another scheduled interview to go to, this one was an even worse grilling followed by brain teasers which were quite difficult and I messed up on.

Actual Brain Teaser Questions


Calculate the equivalent interest rate of the following :
Hsbc have an offer whereby they will give you £1,000 up front if you give them £11,000 and after one year you can withdraw your original deposit.
Another brain teaser:
The interviewer asked what is the probability that he could guess my phone number given he couldn't just look at my cv.
Another teaser was just to express the reciprocal of 2x2x2x2x2 as a decimal.


Back to the lunch time interview they gave me more questions about options and other stuff, they pretty much were teaching me the parity of options.
Then finally another interview was cancelled lol! By now I was exhausted I had another interview where the guy started to trade with me and asked me to give him prices, I was good yet bad.
Still I learned a lot , most importantly don't go to an interview if your ill! Especially these intense ones.

15 comments:

  1. Hi ebam,

    I have this AC next week, can I please msg you privately

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ebam, thanks for sharing of your experience. Could you tell me a bit more about the rules of the trading game + more brainteasers that you could remember?

    Thank you. Email me at any time at zhijun6@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ebam,

    Awesome post and thanks for sharing the insights. Could you also send me further details regarding the trading game/brainteasers to chrislittletina@gmail.com pls?

    Many thanks,
    -T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ebam,

    Thank you very much for sharing your experiences! I have the same AC coming up next week, could you please tell me more about the trading game? My email is masakkiii@gmail.com

    Best rgrds,
    R

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ebam.

    I thank you so much for your knowledge- i genuinely hope you got an offer after the grilling they gave you. Is there any chance you could help me out with fleshing out some more fo the brainteasers ad questions- thank you so much in advance.

    Guy (email: guyoliver123@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ebam,

    I have the same interview coming up on Thursday - if you have any other advice could you drop me a mail at bjnrmcdonald@gmail.com. Really appeciated!

    Kind Regards,
    Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ebam,
    I have passed the numerical and verbal tests and I have been waiting for a phone interview call for over a week now. Do you have any idea about how long it might take to a maximum in any case for them to contact him for a phone interview. Your's was pretty fast I believe, in three days is like a dream come true. Please let me know any details that you have. Thanks in advance. (karthik.kovalam@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ebam,

    thanks alot for your post, it was really helpful. Did you get an offer? If you know of anything else that you would think is helpful please could you let me know, even if its a standard email that you send to everyone.

    Many thanks man,

    Kaysan
    Kaysannikkhah@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ebam, thank you for your post(s). I too have assessment center coming up and would really appreciate any additional tips/other interview questions/more details about rules of trading game that you would be willing to share. If you do have additional information, please do e-mail it to me on: john.chondo@yahoo.com .

    In return I would be happy to contribute to your blog (or you) with my interview experience @ other firms.

    Cheers, John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ebam, thank you for the post. I would really appreciate if you could e-mail me (uxe@libero.it) some furtehr details about the trading game and the interviews content (brain teaser, technical questions). Thanks in Advance man!

    Mattia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ebam. Thank you for your post - I found it very helpful. Would you please drop me e-mail to john.davidtron@gmail.com with details concerning trading game and personal interviews.

    It would be kind of you to describe within a mail some rules of this trading game. Thank you in advance!

    Kind regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ebam.
    Great Post!
    Would it be possible to drop an e-mail to s.ajose-11@student.lboro.ac.uk with further details concerning the trading game and personal interviews.

    Best,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. What was the answer to the interest rate brain teaser?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ebam
    Thank you for your post!
    Would you please send mail to assertik@gmail.com with example of math questions and some detatils of trading game

    Thank you in advance

    Best regards,
    Valentin

    ReplyDelete